According to Ralph Waldo Emerson, you should “make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you.” You get to have one life. Therefore, you might as well live it to the fullest. Living in a hateful and suffocating environment can hinder you from becoming a better person.
Everyone has a lot of room when it comes to improvement. You can improve your health, career, lifestyle and personality. You need to have the right attitude and positive outlook in order to succeed in improving yourself. If you know where to start, you can change your totality as a human being.
Be a Better You
Throughout your life, you will experience constant struggles. You will commit inevitable mistakes. You will also know what it feels like to have the difficulties of life. However, there is nowhere else to go but up. Despite all your hardships, struggles and misfortune, there is always a possibility of making yourself a better person.
There is no use in dwelling on the mistakes you made as well as the negative aspects of your life. Set yourself free from all the negative and hostile energy. Allow yourself to realize your full potential in order to become a happier and better person.
15 Ways to Become a Better You
Many people want to become better. They do not know where and how to begin. Changing your negative traits into positive ones may seem hard and impossible. However, if you know when, where and how to start, you may actually succeed.
These are some of the most helpful ways on how you could become a better version of yourself.
- Get started. The first part of your transformation is knowing when to get started. Accepting the fact that you need to change yourself for the better is the best way to start your change.
- Be self-aware. Evaluate yourself. Try learning about your strengths as well as your weaknesses. This will allow you to find out which areas or aspects you need to improve upon. Embrace and work on your strengths. Accept and work on your weaknesses.
- Have the will to change. Now that you have found out which areas you need to improve, you must be willing to change. Open yourself to any changes in order to become a more positive and improved individual.
- Stop making too many excuses. “It is too hard.” “I do not have time.” “I am too tired.” These are some of the many excuses that people make when they are about to face any type of change. If you really want to improve yourself, stop making excuses. Just go for it and do not look back.
- Set your goals. Set a timeline for your goals. This will keep you focused and determined, as you have to follow a strict timeline in order to meet your deadlines.
- Look for a positive role model. Find a person whom you can see as a role model. Choose a person whom you can relate to. That person should be a positive role model in order to allow you to change positively as well.
- Learn to love yourself. Other people will not embrace who you are if you cannot learn how to love yourself. You cannot expect other people to accept you as you are if you are not confident and comfortable in your own skin.
- Be real. As you are working on becoming a better person, now is the right time to let go of all your defenses. Show who you really are to the people around you. Stop pretending and embrace your true self. This way, you do not need to pretend and become defensive amongst other people.
- Be polite. Nowadays, polite and considerate people are hard to come by. They also say that chivalry is already dead. How hard can it be to be polite to other people? Why do people have to be rude to others in order to prove a point? If you really want to change yourself, be polite to everyone even if they are rude to you.
- Help others. Do not turn your back on the people who need your help. Open a door for someone else. Help an elderly cross the street. Assist your colleague on his or her project. Being helpful is a great way of changing yourself into a better person as it enables you to feel better. Helping people without asking for anything in return is a rewarding feeling.
- Stop blaming others. Sometimes, we have a tendency of blaming other people for our misfortunes. We tend to accuse other people of sabotaging our plans just because we find it hard to blame ourselves. Take responsibility for your actions. This way, you can teach yourself how to be accountable as well as how to be more responsible.
- Forgive and forget. There are people who find it hard to forgive and forget. There are those who tend to hold grudges on the people who hurt them. Learn how to forgive and forget in order to relieve yourself from the stress of being angry towards the people who did you wrong. Forgiving them and forgetting what they did to you allows you to move on with your life.
- Control your anger. Controlling your anger is a very hard ability to master. Anger is a natural human emotion. However, if you cannot control it, you might do or say something that can hurt other people. Control your anger in order to prevent it from affecting your decision-making skills as well as how you live your life.
- Stop comparing yourself to other people. Jealousy is a very dangerous thing, especially if it is severe. Comparing yourself to other people can affect the way you look at your life. This attitude can highlight all the negative things about you and prevents you from seeing how lucky you are.
- Be grateful. The happiest people are usually those who have gratitude. Even if some people might think they do not have a lot, they still manage to be happy because they are grateful for what they have.
Visual courtesy: https://www.flickr.com/photos/libertinus/