Have you ever found yourself in the midst of an overly energetic group that is having a boisterously good time and you can’t follow a single word that the group members are saying?
Have you ever been to the beach to swim with the dolphins and found yourself stuck in the shallows?
Did you ever receive that invitation to the party of your dreams and couldn’t dance once you were there because you were too embarrassed to show your dance moves?
Many of us day dream about an alternate reality, a fictitious version of our life where we do what we can’t do in reality. These open-eyed dreams remain unrealized because we keep telling ourselves that we are too old to learn that skill. But if there’s one thing that comes naturally to human nature, it is the willingness to learn and adapt. Somewhere along our overly comfortable existence, we forget this and start discouraging ourselves from learning new skills and adding a new feather to our proverbial hats of prowess. There are, however, seven such skills which you are never too old to learn.
- Learn a new language. Whether you are fond of travelling or merely enjoy experiencing different cultures, the knowledge of a new language can open up a whole new world of possibilities for you. It may be something as simple as a national dialect or regional language which is similar to your first language. Or it can be an exotic language from a far flung land. While the initial phase of learning a language can be quite a struggle and you may feel like giving up, once you have learnt the basics and start using the new words, you can be pleasantly surprised at your own capability. Learning a language not only has social perks, but can help you redefine your personality and make you more confident too.
- Cook your favorite cuisine. In the rat-race culture that we all are the slaves to, cooking becomes too tedious a skill to acquire if you really don’t have a flare for it. However, this is undoubtedly the most important life skill which can be learnt at any age. In the beginning, you must learn to cook for yourself. There should be no other bigger motivation. Once you have gained the initial confidence, try your hand at more complex dishes and learn to cook a complete cuisine. After all, the way to your partner’s heart may very well be through the stomach. And it’s not only meant for guys!
Visual courtesy: https://www.flickr.com/photos/posixeleni/
- Develop a green thumb. You may not have experienced the shame of killing a cactus by over-watering; but you know when you can’t take care of your own plants. However, it is never too late to develop a green thumb and you needn’t even hire a gardener to learn the tricks-of-the-trade. Every input and helpful practice is available online for you to access and learn. This is one skill which will not only help you develop a healthy lifestyle but will also enable you to give something back to Mother Nature.
- Learn a sport. If you already are an athletic person, then learning a new sport may come quite naturally to you. This skill should be an attempt at adding new facets to your personality. Sports are a great way of building stamina, character and reflexes. And you are never too old to learn a new sport or game. It can be an adrenaline pumping game of football or a serene and relaxing sport like golf. You can find a definite sense of accomplishment with a new sport as your hobby.
Visual courtesy: https://www.flickr.com/photos/northcentralcollege/
- Learn a dance form. Everybody can dance. Some of us do it like professionals and some of us only move our upper body while remaining rooted to the spot. The ability to dance well comes with a heavy dose of confidence and self-assurance. More importantly, it can also help you carve a great body for yourself. And you are never too old to learn a dance form. Pick up something as conventional as Bhangra or, if you are a romantic at heart, try to learn salsa or tango. This can also be a great skill to learn with your partner and will give you a chance to rekindle your love life.
- Learn to drive. Ah, the idea of a high life in a metro! Where the public transport system is so well developed that the thought of owning a bike or a car never enters your mind. And when you finally do buy a car, you are too busy to drive it and have to get a chauffeur to drive you around. But driving is one skill which you must learn, no matter how old you are! It gives you a sense of freedom and independence. It also makes you more responsible when you are on the road.
- Learn to swim. Although many schools have now started insisting on giving swimming lessons to students as a mandatory part of curriculum, there are still many of us that will never learn how to swim. Imagine, 70% of the earth is covered with water and your globe-trotter spirit can never be truly satisfied till you learn how to swim a few laps in the distant seas. And if you are content at just lounging next to the pool or lake, then remember that swimming is the best form of exercise. With only 30 minutes of swimming every day, you can beat the summer heat and give yourself a killer set of abs!
Visual courtesy: https://www.flickr.com/photos/breveglieri/The list of skills which can be learnt by anyone and at any age may vary depending upon your personality and your lifestyle. But these seven skills are absolutely indispensable. They will not only enhance your lifestyles and your personality but will also help you contribute to the nature in your own personal way. So why procrastinate any further? Get started with a new skill and learn your way to a new you!
Top visual courtesy: https://www.flickr.com/photos/eschipul/