For those who love reading, books can provide comfort like no other thing in this world. All the avid book lovers would definitely agree that losing oneself in a book gives joy and a high like nothing else. Books manifest amazing powers. They have the power to transform the way we live and think. They can present to their reader a whole new alternate way to think in an alternate dimension which is not even known to exist. The knowledge which is garnered after reading a book is something that stays with the reader forever.
Books can take you on a journey like never before, can help you through tough life situations and open your perspective to more progressive ways of living. There are certain bestselling books that have changed the way people think about themselves. They have had a deep impact on their readers’ minds and transformed the way they perceive themselves and the world around them. Some of the best selling and inspiring books are written from the authors’ own experiences; therefore, a reader connects with them at a deeper level. Many books which are more than two-three decades ago still remain some of the most read books of all time.
Here is a list of 20 books that will surely change the way you think about yourself:
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho – The story of a shepherd and his quest full of wisdom is something that will definitely inspire you to challenge your convictions.
- Veronica Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho – The protagonist in the story had everything working for her but she still decides to die. What happens next gives an insight on how one appreciates life when there is nothing left to lose.
- The Secret by Rhonda Byrne – The book describes simple ways to be happier and content by thinking positively.
- Many Lives, Many Masters by Dr. Brian Weiss – The book happens to be the true story about the author. It throws light on death and reincarnation and compels you to start asking questions about life like never before.
- The Bad Girl by Mario Vargas Llosa – A very complicated fictional love story that forces you to think about the labyrinth of human psyche.
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie – One of the biggest bestsellers worldwide, the book describes some of the simplest yet effective methods to be a winner in your social circle.
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey – The book is pretty much self explanatory because of the title. A simple but effective book that can help you succeed in life.
- The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari by Robin Sharma – One of the bestsellers worldwide, this book can help you set your priorities right in life.
- How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie – Yet again, the book explains itself in the title. Some of the best advice is within the realms of this book.
- Six Thinking Hats by Edward De Bono – A book aimed at teaching you how to think, how to be a better team player and how to learn better problem solving skills.
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki – This book imparts knowledge on how to become financially strong by investing and smartly managing money.
- Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson – The book talks about the ways to deal with changes in our everyday lives, at our workplace and at home.
- The Millionaire Mind by Thomas J. Stanley – The book is about millionaires who found their calling, raised their empires and maintained their wealth. It is a very inspiring read for budding entrepreneurs.
- The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman – The book talks about various ways people understand and receive love. It talks about how different the ideas of love of different individuals can be.
- Wisdom of the Ages by Wayne Dyer- The book explores practical application of ancient thoughts of wisdom which may very well be relevant today as well.
- The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin – Can we deliberately make ourselves happy? By consciously making efforts is it possible to be happy most of the time. The author takes us along on her journey each month where she makes efforts to bring more happiness and positivity in her life.
- The 4-Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferris – A good eye opener for those who work in 9-5 jobs.
- Awaken the Giant Within by Anthony Robbins – The book outlines ways to put your dream plan in action and how to make the most of your life.
- Question behind Question by John Miller – The book deals with the habit of making excuses and playing the blame game. It also tells you about the best method to approach an issue.
- Lead with Your Heart by Regina Cates – A life can be termed successful if it has both success and a purpose in it. In the book, the author focuses on the importance of having a meaningful life with definite goals.
The books can make you come face to face with your worst fears, help you face them and can make you stronger. While you read a book which is based on the author’s own life experience, you get some strength from the fact that somebody has been through the same journey and has emerged a complete winner.
Books can never go out of style. If you feel that you are hard pressed for time but still want to gain wisdom, it is a good idea to have audio books. Electronic devices have made it easier to read books on the go and carry your entire library in your pocket. Books can open up a world of possibilities and can make you believe in the power of your dreams. And the best part – what you gain after reading is forever yours. Nobody can ever take your wisdom away from you.
Visual courtesy: https://www.flickr.com/photos/martinaphotography/